Thursday 2 December 2021

Well-Housed Wellington Street

Limestone foundations and painted details
A recent trip to Dollar Tree just about sleighed me. There on the North Pole end of one shelf were a few little houses. Should I tree-t myself? And my layout? A whole sh-Elf for a dollar-and-a-half each! So I put two of them into my sack and I bought them - two all a good night! It was out into the rain, dear.

Having kitbashed two Swamp Ward houses, I had a few residential holes to fill in the streetscape. Much like the current City of Kingston residential in-fill policy! Thinking these two hundred-cent-ury structures might fit the bill, I tried to find some prototypes. I soon realized they were a little too uptown for my waterfront neighbourhood. No matter, perhaps too professorial and not pedestrian enough, but OK or the transition between industry and downtown along Wellington Street.
A fine home on King Street
Fine homes on University Avenue
                                     
Fine homes on my mantle.




The progression can be tracked through the above photos. I made the decision to leave each structure intact, relying on painting and a few details to set them in Kingston. The models are meant to accommodate an LED tea-light, so they have half-open window panes. I painted the panes black, the frames grey. The stone house got a coat of grey paint, the other a weathered brick exterior. Roofs were darkened. Bits of snow on the roofs were painted over. The Dremel took care of the snow surrounding the foundations. The founcations were covered with limestone-printed paper. A few railing and roof-top details were added. 

Now, to place them into the model Wellington Street....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm happy to hear from you. Got a comment about the Hanley Spur? Please sign your first name so I can respond better.