Friday 17 December 2021

Pickup Pick-me-up

 

Today I learned more in five minutes than I would have in 30 minutes doing my own research. Tom T. stopped by in his pickup to pick up both books on Kingston's waterfront. Of course we socially-distanced, but our chat on social history was not distant.

He worked at Anglin's on that same waterfront for 38 years! He mentioned that 100 men were on the union rolls at the height of the Anglin operation. He raced his soapbox car down the the front of North Street. He remembers the houses that stood and the ones that were knocked down, around North and Rideau Streets. He mentioned that Anglin's worked cheek-by-jowl with Shell Oil and of course, 'The Dredge'! That Shell tankers partly unloaded at Millhaven before negotiating the sharp turn and silty bottom of the Inner Harbour. That some of Anglin's tanks ended up storing road oil for a firm from Breslau, ON for summer application. That's all I can remember.

Once again, I'm amazed and humbled at the connections of which this process is chock-full!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm happy to hear from you. Got a comment about the Hanley Spur? Please sign your first name so I can respond better.