Saturday 1 February 2020

Improving Sowards Coal Piles

I spent some time working on the Sowards Coal dealership on my HO scale layout. It started with my piles. Coal piles, that is. ARK Hanley Spur project group member Greg had mentioned that the angle-of-repose didn't appear correct. And of course, he was right! See top photo - I called them ziggurats because they were so pointed! So, I re-shaped them:
I'd thought originally it would be a good idea to use plastic container lids as the basis for the piles. That was part of the problem. So I removed them from under the modelling clay ziggurats:
After re-shaping, I used black acrylic paint to coat the piles, then sprinkled black-coloured dollar store sand on them while wet:
I added board-fence sections that had an interesting back-story! I 'piled' the coal right up the fence bases:
I also built a Sowards office/shop building from a structure (earlier ready-mix cement, before that self-carwash) that I'd previously scratch-built. You'll have to crane your neck a little:
Putting details back in place - foliage and signage:
Some vintage-look photos:
 The Sowards Office sign is from a vintage photo of the original!
And as the local passes by, I feel much better about the dealership and my piles. Coal piles, that is!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm happy to hear from you. Got a comment about the Hanley Spur? Please sign your first name so I can respond better.