Wednesday 11 January 2023

SLC 232 at Quattrocchi's

Even though I wouldn't consider this a model railway blog, it is definitely a blog about a model railway. So a specific model build, while unusual, is certainly within the scope of what you might find published herein. 

Bearing that in mind, it all began on a sunny Saturday in April, 1979. My Dad and I were making the morning rounds downtown, hoping to snag the CP Smiths Falls switcher without luck. Heading down Montreal Street, the lighting and the timing must have been right for me to snap San Luis Central refrigerator car 232 spotted at Quattrocchi's. Based on the tackboard signs, as well as a CN switchlist fading and found that May 5, SLC 232 was loaded with spuds a week earlier in Bath, NB for furtherance to Quattrocchi via CP and CN. Kris Seaboyer kindly shared this: Bath, NB, on the CPR Shogomoc Subdivision extending from McAdam to Aroostook. Typical motive power in those days were RS18s, RS10s, and the remaining RS3s. It later would be served by RS23s.

I didn't know as I pressed the button on my Kodak Hawkeye 110-format camera that this would be my one-and-only Hanley Spur photo. In the back of my mind, it's one I've thought of recreating ever since:

With a gravy-covered serving of synchronicity, Montreal's Mark Charlebois kindly gifted me with Walthers Railway Express Agency REX 7847, nearly two years ago. Once it arrived in Kingston, the pickle-green present spent a lot of time languishing in the railway room. Here it is still in Mark's collection:
It's exaclty the same type of car that ended up on the prototype SLC once the railway express business went largely to trucks in the U.S. While not needed for refrigerated lading, these cars were ideal for temperature-dependent loads like potatoes. San Luis Central rostered at least 350 of them. I had no proper decals, and a quick online search showed K4 Decals' set, which with shipping and exchange would probably cost $20! Way above my price point.
Fortunately, in my decal box, I found an ample set of Walthers black decal lettering that matched that of the SLC. Perhaps I'd bought them decades ago for just this project! I broke out the hobby paint and got to work, brush painting the car with grey primer then orange sides, black roof and ends. Now the fun began - probably the most protracted, prolonged and technically painful decalling job I'd ever done. The decals were splintering from age, and had to be applied individually. I had a lot on my plate, literally:
That looks like a ransom note (above)! I was a prisoner of positioning, convicted of consecutiveness, an in-line inmate. But I persevered:
Paint touch-up, application of an ACI label, and light weathering completed the job. Or so I thought. The track-level photo (top) made it obvious that I still need to add some door stencilling and right-side dimensional data. That's the value of looking at layout views with a critical eye. 

I owe Mark many a merci for enabling this project. Coming full circle, bringing a teenager's snapshot that had become a distant memory to life, in scale!

6 comments:

  1. Too late for this beautiful project. However, I am forced to use old decals for my modeling. I tried Microscale coating. It holds them together, but does not feather out at the edges. I was advised by a friend to coat the decals with clear coat before cutting. Definite improvement as it holds them together fairly well and feathers out with Walthers solvaset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that advice, A. I used some Microset then Microsol which hopefully keeps the decals on tight over time.
      Eric

      Delete
  2. Good work Eric. The ability to recreate a long past scene is one of model railroadings great appeals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Eric. My building is a bit of a stand-in which may get rebuilt into something a little more modern, but it definitely gives the scene a good backdrop. Thanks for your comment!
    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work saw them in Rockingham NS when they were on the road

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comment, Don. These cars certainly were unique, and eye-catching!
    Eric

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear from you. Got a comment about the Hanley Spur? Please sign your first name so I can respond better.