Friday 13 January 2023

Hanley Spur in Print: CN Lines and Kingston Life


Thanks to the kind invitation of Al Lill, Chairman of the Canadian National Railways Historical Association and Kevin Holland, Editor of the CNRHA magazine CN Lines, I was pleased to contribute an article to the latest edition of this fine magazine. After all, as a minor terminal on a major subdivision bearing its name, Kingston's CNR and Grand Trunk Railway connections did much to link the city to the rest of Canada. Many readers will know about the Montreal Street Outer Station, the Counter Street Station, and even our long-gone locomotive manufacturer, the Canadian Locomotive Company. But how many readers would otherwise know of the existence of the diminutive Hanley Spur?

Kevin did the article justice; it runs ten pages with photos and maps. Kevin included colour images of CLC's contributions to the CN motive power roster, and my article is bracketed by other interesting articles on CN steam, ACI labels on CN, Automobile Transporters and much, much more!
It's unlikely that my Dad would have thought that our city streetmap, a decades-long denizen of our family-car glove compartment, would have ever made it into print! It's a folding fan o' fun showing streets and tracks. I have found no better map, and no easier way to orient readers to the convoluted and congested CN Hanley Spur and CP trackage that once wandered its way along our waterfront:
While anticipating the publication of the above article, I had an enjoyable Zoom interview with Kirsteen MacLeod for an upcoming issue of Kingston Life magazine. I was mightily impressed that Kirsteen led with the term 'railfan' early in our conversation! It's sometimes difficult to orient a non-railfan to why we do what we do, or why some of us build model railways. But Kirsteen seemed to understand, and I'm looking forward to more column-inches describing Kingston's waterfront industrial heritage, whether it's in 1:1 or 1:87 scale.

Photographer Rob Whelan visited the layout on January 24. We spent an enjoyable hour talking about the Hanley Spur, and finding the angles and lighting that achieved the shots Rob wanted. He put our old kitchen stepstool/chair to good use, getting some high angles that I know will show the layout to advantage!

 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Eric, I'm off to my local hobby shop tomorrow to pick up a copy.

    I've really enjoyed all your posts about Kingston as it's helped me to "decode" what used to be there.

    I used to get up to Toronto once a month in the 90s and on my way back to Quebec, I'd stay overnight in Kingston at the Comfort Inn just off the 401. I used to go for a walk along Division Street and look at the CN mainline. What used to confuse me was the gravel trail which climbed up from the tracks below. I now know from your posts that this was the old Canadian Pacific branch to the downtown area. Eureka!! :)

    Thanks for shedding the light for me!, Eric!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear, Chris! Any enlightenment shone on me first, as I'm learning so much about the tracks to the waterfront, where they originated and went. It's one of those areas of town where it's extremely challenging to piece together what once was!

    Thanks very much for your comment,
    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  3. The article was a very informative read. The maps really helped put it all in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy to hear it, Eric! They really are the best map(s) ever and saved me breaking out my draftsman skills.
    Thanks very much for your comment,
    Eric

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear from you. Got a comment about the Hanley Spur? Please sign your first name so I can respond better.