Friday 5 August 2022

Walking Montreal and Maple Streets, July 2022

On my annual mission to Krown Rust Kontrol, I walked while waiting. Heading up Montreal Street, I first passed the Grand Trunk Terrace on Cassidy Street (top photo). The view west from the rock cut under Montreal Street overpass is now well-forested, no longer a limestone wasteland:
Things have grown in a bit since 1976: 
Old and new at John Counter Boulevard, formerly Elliott Avenue:
A few houses on Maple Street:
The view from John Counter of Presland Iron and Steel, with buildings that housedseveral former owners
Views of Presland from Maple Street:


Until this situation is resolved, the City of Kingston might as well drop anything in its marketing that mentions history. When the trees growing through the original footprint of the circa 1855 Outer Station are taller than the chimneys, this is a travesty of history:
Former telegraph poles that one lined the mainline, just behind the former CN repeater station:
 
A desperately disparate view of the connected 1855 and 1895 Outer Station buildings. (Photo above from Queen's University Archives). Needless to say, I returned to Krown slowly shaking my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm happy to hear from you. Got a comment about the Hanley Spur? Please sign your first name so I can respond better.