Thursday 11 August 2022

Outer Station Enhancements

Re-jigging the Montreal Street segment of my Hanley Spur turned streetscape into more opportunity to add structures and spurs. One of these was enhancements to the Outer Station. Confined to the highly-recognizable 1855 limestone Grand Trunk station, I could only represent the breezeway and 1895 brick station minimally (below). I made a paper cutout of the available space (top photo) and began deciding how much of the other two parts of the station I could represent.
Having mapped out the space available, I used an existing structure, formerly part of the Rutland, VT Howe Scale complex. It was too high, too wide and had no windows. I rectified all that, with prototype photos at hand:
Originally red brick, modernization took placei n the 1960's and the wartime breezeway was an essential part of handling increased passenger loads in all weather. I used Tupperware to gauge the height of all three structures:
I added roofing to the 1895 station - largely Cox Big Pine Lumber Co. shed roofs. The prototype was shingled, but until I get adequate shingle paper, this black-is-the-new-yellow material will work. Working in the sunroom with beverages at hand:
The 1895 station is done, the breezeway is not done.Test-fit on the layout (below). After assessing this photo, the angle of its roof is wrong, therefore the legs and roof (well, that's almost the whole thing!) had to be redone.
Breezeway improved. Signage added, along with train order signal, smoke jack, downspouts and repainting of doors and windows. I realized by accident that if some grey paint was scraped off, the underlying brick finish would show through. Outdoor photography at sunset:
There were two prototype phone booths on the far side of the breezeway nearest the 1895 station. Why model one if it will be unseen? So I did model one, and placed it more prominently! Now, to pave the parking lot and put up this paradise!

 

2 comments:

I'm happy to hear from you. Got a comment about the Hanley Spur? Please sign your first name so I can respond better.