Monday 30 October 2023

Montreal Street Underpass - Foundations Found

In a previous post on the Montreal Street underpass (also called the Montreal Street subway) I mentioned the difficulty I've had trying to reconcile what's left there today. I've read many reports of foundations of the steel CN Kingston Subdivision bridge that spanned Montreal Street extant at the site today. I snapped the above photo from the site of the former subway in 2021 and couldn't figure it out even while standing there! But with so much earthmoving, realignment of rails and roads, and 40+ years of intervening time since the bridge's removal in 1976, it's understandably a challenge. Until tonight.

Terry Ethridge was recently at the site and kindly shared his photos that led me to the answers.

Terry's phone map shows the three extant foundations he found, marked in black (above). The most obvious one of the original four is close to the Village on the River apartments on the Cataraqui River. The second largest is along Montreal Street. This view of Terry's is from the current alignment of Montreal Street, looking toward the apartment parking lot and river:
The largest extant foundation (squiggly yellow line at top right of above photo) is close to Village Drive.which leads to the apartments. Terry moved closer to it (below).
This excellent view by Terry faces the opposite direction showing the largest foundation, with remains of a recently removed tree:
What really cinched this for me was using the City of Kingston's Snapshot Kingston mapping tool. Able to apply different year layers, I chose the 1970 layer, then toggled a more recent one, 2013. I could easily match Terry's photos to the satellite/aerial views 43 years apart. If I was more tech-savvy, I would have made a video of one morphing to the other. Instead, here's an old-school side-by-side view. I framed the same area, showing the two most-prominent foundation locations with red arrows on the 2013 side. All four foundations framing the CN double-track mainline above Montreal Street shown on the 1970 side. I also marked the recently removed tree. To orient the view, I placed a yellow box around the limestone Grand Trunk Terrace (GTT) on Cassidy Street: 
An amazing metamorphosis over the intervening years. Interestingly, this large, brown utility building in the Village on the River parking lot was formerly the Chown warehouse, rail-served off CN's Hanley Spur which was just east of the mainline and closer to the river, track passing to the left:
Who would guess that on this quiet greenspace once rolled the mighty freight trains and fleeting Limiteds of the Grand Trunk and Canadian National eras in the past nearly-150 years!

Thanks to Terry Ethridge for his assistance with this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm happy to hear from you. Got a comment about the Hanley Spur? Please sign your first name so I can respond better.