Monday 4 July 2022

Wandering Wellington and Walkabout

Today's wandering began at 27 Place d'Armes, formerly the Millard & Lumb building. Heading toward Princess Street along Place d'Armes towards Fort Frontenac, I photographed the plaque with the remnants of the fort and the current Fort Frontenac in the distance. I'll wind up here - and there are a LOT of plaques to be seen!
I walked along the one-lane traffic west of the causeway, along the refurbished Fort Frontenac wall. Some geese paid absolutely no attention as I took their picture from National Defence property, looking east across the Inner Harbour (above). Heading a little north, I photographed the former oil-unloading dock through a chain-link fence (below) adding a 1964 Queen's University Archives inset image of rowboatmen from March, 1964, coincidentally my birth month:

Heading back up Place d'Armes, I noticed Today's Mystery. This cornerstone/milestone at the corner of the former Millard & Lumb building that is inscribed with the letters WD (see arrow above, closeup below) My initial thought was a survey benchmark. The letters are interesting, and indicate War Department, a British Ordnance Survey showing land owned (or formerly owned) by the War Department. There are others at the former (wall remnants) and current Fort Frontenac (northeast corner of Tragically Hip Way and Ontario St) sites.
Walking toward Frontenac Village condominium community, at the end of King Street East,  I was treading on the former Anglin coal yard. Now gentrified and clean, here's a different view of the oil-unloading area:
I couldn't get far enough back to duplicate this archival view of Esso's Imperial Collingwood docked in 1976 without trespassing on condo-land, so the coaldock will have to sit out in Anglin Bay for this image:
Heading up Wellington Street as far as Rideaucrest, I checked in on the Imperial Oil limestone warehouse at the foot of North Street, being renovated by Doornekamp. Nobody was working on the site today.
A south-end view of the former ground-level shed and base of the ramp that served the upper level:
Now in front of the Leeuwarden condominiums, I had a nice view back from whence I'd come, with Frontenac Village now forming the background. The end of Wellington Street and MetalCraft Marine are in the foreground, with one jogger just how liveable Kingston is!
A little farther toward the Leeuwarden entrance shows the dry-dock, watered-up but unoccupied:
Who can wander past the Bajus Brewery and not make a photograph or two?
That keg! That balcony! Wellington, oh Wellington, wherefore art thou, Wellington?
Trying to place the former CN Freight shed, I went one block beyond Place d'Armes. Regardless, with Barrack Street in the background, here's the 1951 flooding of Wellington Street in front of the CN freight shed:
Parking lots can also be wandered through, and I reached Queen and Ontario where the 'GAS the MODERN FUEL' lettering is just visible on the water side of the former PUC buildings on Queen:
A grain elevator-top rendition of days of yore is on the front of the Queen Street buildings, nearly eclipsed by chickory:
Install the city's longest streetsign and some passing truck will bend it like a boomerang:
The gate and plaques of Fort Frontenac brought me back to the beginning of my 45-minute walkabout. Another potentially-triggering but not-photographed plaque mentions the Crawford Purchase, made with the indigenous people on Carleton Island in 1783.


 

2 comments:

  1. Stu McAllister5 July 2022 at 19:36

    I believe that the stone marker with W.D. and arrow beneath is a British War Department ordnance survey marker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that additional information, Stu!
    Eric

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear from you. Got a comment about the Hanley Spur? Please sign your first name so I can respond better.