Saturday 30 July 2022

Modelling Tannery Effluent

 

Throughout the 1960's, there were persistent complaints and calls for action to alleviate the smells and effluent emerging from the Davis Tannery on Rideau Street. Finally, in 1966 the plant made a connection to the city sewer system, in the plan below. 

Having now modelled the tannery, and adding the Cohen scrapyard, a tract of land opened up between it and the Outer Station on my layout. This had formerly been Montreal Street. What a gift that keeps on giving...space!
The connection under construction in December, 1966 (Queen's University Archives, above and below). The after  photo shows workers burying pipes. I think this was the before photo:
I built a small modelling-clay berm and scenicked it. After adding the scrapyard, I noticed that white glue was leaving a sheen that needed to be covered. I decided to use this for the effluent in the ditch. I installed a few lot-line fence posts on the far side of the ditch. In this photo, I just applied some white glue and the outlet pipe. The glue dried clear. Now - to model that smell!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm happy to hear from you. Got a comment about the Hanley Spur? Please sign your first name so I can respond better.