Monday 24 January 2022

Modelling Dyeco - a Structural Flat

                                       
Dyeco is a little-known industry located at the intersection of River and Orchard Streets along the Inner Harbour. I hadn't really planned to model the industry, but I came to the realization that my Anglin tank-car unloading facility was really in the wrong spot, and that Dyeco would be a more appropriate industry to have beyond the River Street bridge. (A secret/stealth second track goes under my River Street bridge, and I'll now need to rebuild it since this industry will be staying!)

I printed off 1935, 1925, and 2019 photos of the industry for reference. I realized that the long side of the building along Orchard Street is where the CP spur was. A rummage through my scrap building drawer found two walls that would fit the bill (above). I cut a hole for the unloading door in the right-hand section, and blocked off window holes, adding door and windows to the left-hand section:
I painted both sections, now glued together, with a light brown, then dry-brushing bricks over the light brown mortar with a light rust hobby paint, then a darker red-brown. The brick colour is perhaps a little dark. A paper door was added to the unloading opening. Pilasters from a leftover Woodland Scenics (DPM) modular wall kit were also added, though my brickwork was in no way as involved as the prototype. After all, it's a backrop, and they're not supposed to have too much detail to draw the eye. I also started marking in the brick-wall lettering that I would be adding:
I used a white gel pen, and a black fine-tipped marker to rough in the lettering. Any mistakes could be covered up with another coat of reddish-brown, if necessary! I didn't think the second, smaller-font line could be well done (of Canada Limited) so I left it off. I did, however, add the baseball-style Dyeco logo, moving its location to the right, and weathering all the lettering. Perhaps on the prototype it was gone by my nominally 1970 modelled era, but I enjoy seeing and painting this type of original, old-timey lettering, so here it is!
I added side end walls about one half-inch deep, glazed the windows with acetate, then smokestack and pipes on the roof top. The smokestack is only half-circumference, blending into the wall better and not leaving a shadow in photographs. The completed structural flat with a few details is shown below. I still need to emplace it, bring the spur closer to the building, and scenick the area. It was a fun two-day pandemic project!

2 comments:

  1. I started Dyeco in 1961 and the siding was still there but no longer used as they had recently switched to oil from coal for the boilers.
    Duane Ramsay

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's excellent info, Duane, so prior to 1961 coal was arriving by rail. Do you know of other shipments in or out by rail?

    Thanks for your comment!
    Eric

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear from you. Got a comment about the Hanley Spur? Please sign your first name so I can respond better.