Tuesday 4 January 2022

Modelling Another Limestone Rock Cut

Between my CN trackage serving Imperial Oil's limestone warehouse and CP serving Sowards' coal trestle, there was a rather nondescript area. I tried to keep it as a visual block by adding some trees, a kids' treehouse, abandoned car and shopping carts. This represented the Inner Harbour's dual population of neighbourhood kids and derelicts. Like a little kid, on summer walks I'd picked up a couple of interesting pieces of limestone that I wanted to integrate into the layout. The finished product (top photo) incorporated them. Here's how I got there. I cut two pieces of scrap plywood and used Robertson screws to attach them to my layout plywood, with each piece of limestone on opposite ends:
I then used Dollara modelling clay to integrate the rock into the plywood, levelling the big piece on the right as I went along. I also added some topography to the top with the clay. I was planning to add a printed image of a limestone rock cut, but the plys in the plywood looked like they would provide a good surface that I'd just need to paint to represent the limestone.
I used Dollarama (again!) paints - one shade of green, two of grey, to cover the top for subsequent scenicking, and the exposed rock cut surfaces.
I added various scenicking materials to the top, and some loose rocks, though I plan to add more trackside.
A recent trip with my wife to Michaels turned up an interesting floral product in the Reduced bin. With a bit of judicious snipping, these produce dandy little brush cedars similar to those found around Kingston.
The $12 sprig was reduced to three! Slightly disassembled (above) then installed near the Inner Harbour at Cataraqui Street (below) and atop this third limestone rock cut. Previous limestone rock cuts used 2x4's and printed photos of limestone and driftwood!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm happy to hear from you. Got a comment about the Hanley Spur? Please sign your first name so I can respond better.