Tuesday 1 December 2020

Building the Vehicle Fleet

Vehicles, figures, buildings and railway rolling stock are four types of modelling used to nail down the era being modelled. Today, it was time to build up the vehicle fleet. I was inspired by this George Lilley photo of an Abramsky delivery truck unloading from CN boxcar 534237 at the CN freight shed team track yard in December, 1954 (Queen's University Archives):
I zoomed in on the photo and printed out an image of the truck lettering. 
I picked up this amazing lot of vehicles from fellow rail enthusiast Jason Sailer back in 2015:
Four undecorated vehicles were lying fallow and I used this old one to represent the Abramsky truck:
A bit of signage sleight-of-hand was employed to turn this Matchbox truck into two trucks. it's a Rosen Fuels truck on this side:
And an S. Anglin truck on this side! The above lettering is printed off from a 1958 telephone book cover, and the lettering below is one I printed off with Paint software:
These two Minix vans were lettered for Anglin and Ubdegrove. Parked beside an Ubdegrove service van the other day, I took a quick photo and reformatted it, printed off and glued to the van side. Even though this is obviously 2020, the lettering looked 'retro' to me, and a larger version will soon become a local billboard.
I painted the tired from silver to black, adding pinpoints of paint for headlights and taillights. All four in front of the Cataraqui Street National Grocers warehouse:

2 comments:

  1. An excellent update on your vehicle fleet.
    I like your historic picture of furniture being unloaded from a CN 40 boxcar to the local delivery truck. Those 40 foot cars were the backbone of freight transportation. I watched, in 1966 or 67. lumber being hand bombed out of 40 foot boxcars for transfer to the local lumber yard.
    Keep up the good work on this interesting layout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to re-take that Abramsky photo, Rob. If you look closely, you can see a ghostly image of photographer and camera. So many ladings were hand-bombed in and out of these cars. The doors weren't wide enough for much more. Hanley Spur layout is all loose-car railroading!

    Thanks for your comment!
    Eric

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear from you. Got a comment about the Hanley Spur? Please sign your first name so I can respond better.