Tuesday 29 December 2020

CN Tool Sheds at the Top of the Hanley Spur

CN toolsheds were located just east of Montreal Street's Outer Station, south of the CN Kingston Subdivision mainline and above the CN Hanley Spur heading down to water level along the Inner Harbour. They were left in place even after the mainline was realigned to the north between Montreal and Division Streets. Their short sections of rail leading to the tracks are gone, but the Insulbrick  and even eavestroughs over the doors were still in place. Scott Haskill was able to photograph them in 1987:

I took two scratchbuilt sheds for this project, since they both had some detailing and looked about the correct combined length. The one on the left was built to a CP example, scribed styrene painted tuscan red, and the right-hand was built to represent CN, with basswood sides painted grey, with white trim and light blue doors. I did not attept to model the Insulbrick, as I've often found such efforts add too much detail to the very subtle pattern of the original. AFTER re-roofing photo at top of this post. Here's the BEFORE:
I used printed photos of doors, satisfied with the detail and depth they provided after being glued on to the doors. I used a very fine black felt tip pen to add some details. Unfortunately, all that front detail is going to be invisible to the viewer when placed on the layout. Who knows, they may be repositioned in future so I built them accordingly. Rear view:
I wasn't quite happy with the Walthers printed shingle paper roof that I'd attempted to colour. I decided to make my own shingles, using cardstock. A few shades that I 'liberated' from my wife's cardmaking supplies to choose a dark green one I liked. This photo also shows two views of the sheds from Gordon Smithson's fine book, A Bend in the Road, Kingston:
The upper photo in the book actually shows an RS-18 leading a short train down the spur behind the toolsheds in 1976. Finished rear view showing chimney added, paper shingles suitably blowing off and replaced, and electricity meter.
A 1985 photo by Wilf Coombe shows the Hanley Spur rising toward the mainline at right. The toolsheds are at left. The rear view is somewhat less picturesque and photogenic as the front of the sheds.
On the Hanley Spur HO scale layout, here is the initial placement, along the Hanley Spur switch (technically on the wrong side of the station) heading to/from the Inner Harbour. Left to right - the toolsheds, CN telegraph repeater building, Outer Station:
Exploring a new angle, with point-and-shoot camera placed on the spur track in front of the toolsheds:
Alternate placement, alongside the freight shed lead, making the front of the structure much more visible! Decisions, decisions...



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm happy to hear from you. Got a comment about the Hanley Spur? Please sign your first name so I can respond better.