Tuesday 22 January 2019

Modelling Quattrocchi's Specialty Foods

The only Hanley Spur photo I have is that of a San Luis Central car of potatoes at Quattrocchi's Specialty Foods - Montreal at Rideau Streets. Who knows what other cars were spotted here - this just happened to be one day that my Dad and I were driving by and that I happened to have my camera and just happened to take a photo (top) in April, 1979.

The produce business has a good description of their operations here. Scroll down for a video that shows how produce arrives here for sale. The site also includes the following photos showing the growth of the business and its truck fleet:
A recent discussion thread on the Vintage Kingston Facebook group included the following spellings of the name of this business:
  • Quatrocchis
  • Quattrocchi's
  • Quattrochis
  • Quattroccis
  • Quatroccihs
  • Quatrochi's
  • and from some wag, cockroachies!
Just for the record, it's...

The business is a very visible CP Rail-served one, at a major intersection. And it just happens to fit into a spot on my layout that would be just down modelledMontreal Street from the Outer Station. Not a lot of room, but I was able to add a spur that serves the warehouse from the correct direction! 
I added a second train-show find as the warehouse. Painted it to match that light pink with turquoise trim.
I chose the Life-Like Woodlawn police station, a structure I've had in storage for years, previously portraying a Royal Bank/convenience store on my previous Prairie layouts. It has lots of small windows and two storeys, like the prototype. I'd already cut away parts of the walls to add the storefronts, so it no longer resembles a typical American police station! 

I also have outdoor produce stalls from an earlier layout project, ready to be placed in front of the structure.
Final scenicking included parking lot improvements, Nancy Q delivery truck lettering and printed-off signage on the structure and outdoor stalls:
 ......Current view from Montreal Street:

1 comment:

  1. Eric, I passed this blog page on to Joe Quattrocchi and he replied with his recollection of that box car:
    David. I looked up some old records. That rail car was one of 4 that was purchased from McKay & Hughes co. It contained
    800 x 100 lb California White Potatoes hand loaded. I was in charge of unloading this Rail car. Bag by bag onto pallets in the
    warehouse. This was a back breaking Job.. with a 5 person crew that unload would take us 8 to 10 hours. Joe Quattrocchi
    Eric, Joe mentioned that he was willing to help you out with anything else you might want.
    If you would like his contact, drop me a line: davewmccallum@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear from you. Got a comment about the Hanley Spur? Please sign your first name so I can respond better.