Sunday 6 January 2019

Missing 'Mystery' Industries

I'm constantly trying to complete the list of Hanley Spur industries. Some are missing mysteries. Well, they're mysteries to me. And I love a good mystery! From a 1951 aerial photo, I've placed boxes around four of them, three of which have cars spotted.
***APRIL 24, 2019 UPDATE - Andrew Jeanes kindly sent some additional information on these, which I've included in italics.

Mystery 1 - CN crossing Barrack Street north of Ontario, boxcar spotted. Public Utilities Commission dating to 1925.
Mystery 2 - CP/shared track south of Ontario Street, east of Princess, very short spur not visible. I Cohen, later W P Peters Feed & Seed dating to 1918. The coal dock across the tracks had a conveyor on rails that could move parallel along the length of the building to drop coal into the slant-roofed structure.
Mystery 3 - CP south of Ontario Street, east of Brock, boxcar spotted. W G Craig, later Gamble-Robinson, dating to 1909.
Mystery 4 - CP gantry across from City Hall could serve any kind of open car. A PFE ice reefer on the next track north:
This was a very interesting photo that contained a lot of those mystery industries. I'll add more if another such photo surfaces! Thanks to Andrew Jeanes for additional information received.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm happy to hear from you. Got a comment about the Hanley Spur? Please sign your first name so I can respond better.