Thursday 24 January 2019

Gus' Railway Restaurant

This corner restaurant was a fixture near the CNCP Telecommunications building and Outer Station. With its characteristic lettering, it should look good next to my HO version  Can I kitbash it from a Kentucky Fried Chicken structure?

Microsoft Word and some soft-drink company images copied and pasted:
Then it was time to kitbash! Dremel took care of the roof, after I removed the structure from its parking-lot base. I added a piece of Foam-core as the new flat roof, added some exterior details and weathered.
KFC no more! I positioned the completed structure near the Outer Station along Montreal Street, where I could find space! Final detailing, a Pepsi sign-post and scenicking to be completed...it's ready to serve hungry HO-scale customers while they wait for their trains!

CNCP Telecommunications pensioners have their own website. The late Gordon Smithson, author of his seminal At the Bend in the Road worked there and submitted several photos to the website that are different from those that appear in his book, including the (top) photo. Gus's Railway Restaurant caught fire on December 17, 1981.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm happy to hear from you. Got a comment about the Hanley Spur? Please sign your first name so I can respond better.