Wednesday 13 April 2022

Going Back. In Time. At the archives

Until March 9, 2020 I had enjoyed nearly a year of weekly trips to the Queen's University Archives. The pandemic paused and postponed that pleasant practice. Not permanently. 

I had garnered and gleaned information that went into two books that I published in November, 2020 and August, 2021. I continued blogging and researching, and adding to my Hanley Spur home layout because I also had enough building projects and materials to work on during shutdowns. Research turned up more leads and I wanted to return to the archives when safe to do so.

With classes over and exams beginning, I guessed that the archives reading room would no longer be needed by students and that a cannon could be fireable through campus. I was right. I hopped on Kingston Transit and put in a solid shift today. The staff were as helpful as ever, and one or two other researchers came and went. There was masking, some plexiglas, signage and sanitizer. It felt safe. I started out witth the Davis Tannery Fonds, quite corporate and technical but lots of interesting tidbits resulting in 70+ images.

It was good to be back. In time.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm happy to hear from you. Got a comment about the Hanley Spur? Please sign your first name so I can respond better.