Monday 23 November 2020

Modelling the River Street Fuel Rack

The plethora of petroleum product tanks scattered along the Inner Harbour were a vital reason for the existence of CN and CP waterfront trackage. The tanks themselves would gobble up space if modelled to scale. With a maximum layout depth of two feet, I would rather devote that space to other uses! But I've been wanting to build a version of the River Street fuel loading rack that still stands.
Located beside the City of Kingston's Urban K&P Trail on River Street, this orphaned rack has no connection, except in memory, to the numerous oil tanks in the Rosen/Anglin tank farm nearby, demolished in the 1980's. A rack in model form makes the viewer think of nearby tanks, even if not modelled. In my case, I use cardstock semi-circles to represent four tanks along the wall.
It's interesting that this rack does not include any ground-to-truck ladders or walkways. Using a fence for support and various piping and structural steel pieces, I put together a loading rack (above) which I then painted black and weathered (below):
Installed on the layout. It may move to a new location, but I wanted it out of the way so I would not demolish it clumsily while switching nearby. 

3 comments:

  1. Time to get loaded! All that oil I'm bringing in by the tankcar load needs to get to the customers!
    Thanks for your comment, Robert.
    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Winter is coming and the oil tanks need filling. All the homes and farms that were heated by oil when the Kingston Waterfront was booming need periodic replenishment all winter long. That was an important business.

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear from you. Got a comment about the Hanley Spur? Please sign your first name so I can respond better.