Saturday 9 November 2019

Switching the Freight Shed - a Great New Deal!

My switching of the ex-Grand Trunk, CN freight shed at Wellington Street and Place d'Armes used to involve a full change: 4-6 'old' cars pulled, with 4-6 'new' cars spotted. Boring.

So, I decided to try another approach. A new deal! Dealing out the car cards of the old cars, I turn them upside down and shuffle them, drawing out the corresponding number of new cars I'm bringing from the Outer Station yard. In this operating session, they were three in number. I placed the car cards with the old cars for the sake of illustration:
Then, it's a matter of shuffling the cars around the two freight shed tracks, pulling the old cars and adding them to the switcher consist, while placing the new cars along with the remaining, not-pulled old cars:
The only rule in place here is that since cars might be unloaded using portable bridges between tracks, 40-foot and 50-foot cars must be spotted beside each other to ensure access when switching is completed. I use the nearby lead and team tracks (at bottom of photos above) to hold cars during switching.

This new deal makes it much more interesting to pull and spot the freight shed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm happy to hear from you. Got a comment about the Hanley Spur? Please sign your first name so I can respond better.