Tuesday 29 March 2022

Trestle Third Time Lucky

I'd already made two tries at modelling the Sowards coal-unloading trestle on Place d'Armes. I was quite pleased with the results of the second version - it's a very visible structure upon entering the layout room, after all. While there are a few black & white photos that I included in my previous post, it's really challenging to get a sense of proportion or measurements of the prototype structure. The structures and piles of coal on the site were definitely huge, especially before the advent of oil as fuel for heating.

Visible in some of the photos are 'wings' on either side of the trestle. These wings are not present on trestles in warmer climes, where the trestle isn't enclosed as this one was. So I don't know what went on there, but it was definitely to be kept out of the weather. Perhaps the coal was bagged, definitely handled after unloading, there. After I'd added 'good-enough' paper wings before, I decided it was time to upgrade them, hence this third try!
I pulled off the paper wings, taking the structure to the workbench. I found some wooden trusses from a Cox lumber kit (above) and cut them down to act as wing supports. I then found a leftover plastic base (below) that I glued to the trusses. Since the office is on the far side, I only added one wing to the trestle - on the more visible side of the structure.
I found some 'building textures' online, printing a page of siding to use for the roof:
All that was left was to paint the trusses before replacing the trestle on the layout:
There's lots of room under the wings now:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm happy to hear from you. Got a comment about the Hanley Spur? Please sign your first name so I can respond better.