Saturday 16 January 2021

CD&D Tugboat Project

 
A garage sale aficianado dropped by some months ago, leaving me with an HO scale operating train station novelty. I wedged the station off the base, and wondered what was inside. Undoing the screws, I found the small motor and gears which appeared seized. No matter, I decided to make a gondola car load out of it. It's boxy:
But, I started thinking it looked boat-like. I then decided to make it into one. Grabbing a brick of dollar-store plasticene, I carved it into a rough hull shape. I decided to set the motor in the hull. Without any in-progress photos, let's go directly to the finished product. It's a stubby little tug - in fact only about 40 feet in length. But that's the extent of my drydock, and I wanted this tugboat to be an in-drydock refit scene at Canadian Dredge & Dock.

I filed, sanded, cut, painted, added styrene, trimmed the hull some more, added a bridge made of plasticene, also a plasticene lifeboat and davits, built up the stack with plasticene, added CD&D logos to the stack and chose the CD&D tug name 'Traveller'.

Down in the dock (below). I also labelled my previous plasticene tugboat RCL No 11, another CD&D tug name.
At least the mirror gives the impression of it being not-so-stubby.
Here's a model/prototype comparison. On the left, my drydock. On the right, an aerial view of the prototype from a 1983 CD&D booklet:


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm happy to hear from you. Got a comment about the Hanley Spur? Please sign your first name so I can respond better.