Saturday 23 November 2019

Hanley Spur portable layout display at Railfair 2019


Volunteering at today's second annual Railfair hosted by ARK, it was my job to politely hold off the early-birds until opening hour of 10:00. ARK members Kayleigh Hunter, Kurt Vollenwyder, Andrew Chisholm and I were at the door as the last few exhibitors and first few attendees arrived. All was in order, so it was time to check out the show! Making my way into the rear room at the Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 560 on Montreal Street, I noticed a familiar-looking couple checking out our ARK Hanley Spur Portable Layout two-table display - my brother and his wife!
Right next-door was ARK member Grant LeDrew and his Kingston Shipyards module. Grant mentioned that he too had been archiving, and that there were 23 buildings on the shipyard site!  He's included several photos that show prototype views.
The more that I looked into Grant's display, the more I spotted the many details he has included. He got the lettering just right on those gantry cranes that extended into Ontario Street:
 Next door is the current Pumphouse Steam Museum:
 Grant's upright display showing historic photos and his modelling process:
 Characteristic coal piles dot the waterfront:
Not shown is Grant's lift-in flooded drydock which includes a tugboat. In this view, the drydock has been drained:
 Looking down Ontario Street toward City Hall. CPR 2468 is just visible:
ARK president Dave Cook printed off this insurance map plan of the first two other modules we're planning at Rideau and Cataraqui Streets. Dave also added track and rolling stock, and my National Grocers and Bailey broom factory (not its best side) added to the scene:
Continuing down Montreal Street after the show, progress on the Bailey broom factory redevelopment included new roof and wall:
 I'm going to try to use this for a backdrop of the woolen mill:
ARK member Bob Farquhar was moving a tote full of rolling stock at extremely attractive prices. My purchases fill my need for more cars for oil, steel products and coal on my layout!
ARK Railfair chair Paul Hunter's modern-era layout was nearby:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm happy to hear from you. Got a comment about the Hanley Spur? Please sign your first name so I can respond better.