Tuesday 7 May 2019

Transformers on Poles

It just kept happening! Paging through some archival photos of Kingston's historic buildings, not once, not twice, but three times in a short while I came across these photos. Transformers on twin wooden poles! 

This was evidently a common way to supply power at street level. As I recall, if coloured photos the transformers would be painted a dark green colour.

I knew there was just such a transformer set-up at Macpherson's on Rideau Street. But I moved my HO scale scratchbuilt model to Presland Steel. So I need to build at least two, maybe more!

One of those scenic elements we forget about, in this era of underground cabling and diesel generators for Tim Hortons!

2 comments:

  1. Charles Woolever16 May 2019 at 10:30

    Regulator Bank - They regulate the voltage on the line to prevent undervoltage and overvoltage conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much for that additional information, Charles.
    Eric

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear from you. Got a comment about the Hanley Spur? Please sign your first name so I can respond better.