Saturday 25 May 2019

Layout Visitor - Mike Shirlaw

Mike Shirlaw stopped by for a Hanley Spur layout tour today. Mike is a fellow model railroader, as well as being a musician. Mike and I met through music and the rail enthusiasm we share came as a surprise! Another surprise was that Mike spent part of his career working for the Canadian Pacific. Where? In New England - Mike was in St Johnsbury, VT. As in the St Johnsbury & Lamoille Valley Railroad - a quintessential Vermont shortline, and one of the signature scenes of the previous iteration of my HO scale layout. Since I changed my modelled locale from Vermont to Kingston last fall, Mike couldn't reawaken memories of working in that area from my layout, though we could still trade some stories about the challenges of model railroading, and what Kingston's industrial waterfront used to look like.

I assured Mike that the layout he was viewing was the most-scenicked and least-cluttered-with-junk that any layout of mine has ever been! These are two points of personal pride as a modeller! I was pleased to be able to share my layout with Mike.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm happy to hear from you. Got a comment about the Hanley Spur? Please sign your first name so I can respond better.