Sunday 24 March 2019

Modelling a Typical Swamp Ward House

While it's not possible to visit many of the industrial sites associated with the Hanley Spur, it is still possible to visit the neighbourhoods surrounding them. It was here that workers and families lived a workaday life, in what is currently referred to as Kingston's Swamp Ward. Googlemapping such streets, I settled on this double-house at 473 Bagot Street. I'm no architect or housebuilder, so I don't necessarily know the appropriate terms here!
But it seemed to me that there were hundreds of such large-windowed, two-storey homes on these streets. It seemes prototype-disingenuous to not attempt to model at least one. So, armed with a 50-cent blue train show-find and a roof from another project, it was time to try to model one.

I decided to re-skin the front of the house, shorten the roof and add a rear wall. Most materials were taken from my scrap box of building bits:
Colours. These range from whitewash white to riotous red, materials from wood to stucco to brick and siding. I decided on a cream and a tan, representing two families' halves of the same house, though sharing the same shingles!
Adding a limestone foundation, various details and even a fire escape beyond the shuttered far windows, this typical house was complete and just needed to be scenicked into the layout!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm happy to hear from you. Got a comment about the Hanley Spur? Please sign your first name so I can respond better.