Friday, 31 July 2026

Respect Your Elder's Redux

 

Kingston historian Jamie Emerton contacted me earlier this month, "I'm trying to put together a write up and display to teach about the history of Elder's Beverages. Your blog* is by far the most well-researched and comprehensive collection of information that I can find so far and I was just wondering if you could help point me in the right direction...I just don't want it to become another piece of local history lost to living memory so I'm going to do my best to preserve and display and present it." A sample screenshot from Jamie's Instagram video-post (top photo).

Elder's holds a warm place in the hearts of many Kingstonians. A home-brewed success story. Little remains, however, to mark the firm's fizzy legacy. An occasional bottle, just one drop away from a blue box, an occasional crate used for storage on an out-of-the-way garage shelf. These artifacts are finite in number and will only shrink in number in the succeeding years. I need to peruse my bottlecap collection!

Jamie has since gone down the rabbit-hole of Elder's research, with success. Here's wishing Jamie and his Find It All Antiques even more success in preserving these pop-ular products, as well as as many other services he can provide.

*When naming this post, I found that my mind worked exactly the same as it did five years ago when the original post was titled. Hence the 'redux'!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm happy to hear from you. Got a comment about the Hanley Spur? Please sign your first name so I can respond better.