Wednesday 20 March 2024

Kingston Historical Society Presentation

If you had told me five years ago that I'd be making a presentation on Kingston's history to the very group mandated to foster and maintain interest in the history and heritage of the City of Kingston and its environs, I would have doubted it would ever happen. Everything about the Kingston Historical Society seemed to focus away from where my interest lies. The lives of successful local figures, wealthy families and opulent King Street houses and their storied legacies were not my thing.

But it was the kind invitation to make a presentation to the Society, by Programme co-ordinator Dr. Duncan MacDowall that set me on a different course (my efforts at research and modelling on my Hanley Spur layout had not gone unnoticed). A course that led me to the impressive Kingsbridge Retirement Community venue on the evening of March 20. I was there to present my 90-slide PowerPoint-accompanied talk, "Two Miles, Two Railways, Two Tracks....to Obscurity?"

I was welcomed by Paul Van Nest (Membership and Web Host for the evening), Duncan (introduction, question period), Peter Gower (publications). I had met Peter previously, when we were both Kingston Whig-Standard community editorial board members. Paul and his wife Sharon knew my Mom and Dad through a church connection. Kingston really is a big small town, after all! I recognized Speaker Peter Milliken and the Rev. Bruce Cossar in the audience, as well as fellow rail enthusiasts Graham Oberst and Kurt Vollenwyder and Inner Harbour champion Mary Farrar! I didn't have a chance to meet President Paul Charbonneau, former Frontenac Paramedic Services Chief, my son's now-retired boss. Duncan noted the impressive turn-out in the room (50 attendees) and on Zoom (20 tuned in).

Everything went flawlessly. Refreshments were available, the technology co-operated, and the podium was positioned so I could easily see the Zoom/room and screen, with a nice microphone to boot. The carpeted room had comfy chairs, each with a small table and at least one attendee catnapped covertly after the lights were dimmed, as one might when feeling at home. 

Duncan kindly introduced me, thankfully failing to elaborate on my sung rendition of the Canadian Railroad Trilogy! He fielded questions from the room afterwards, and we had something of a tag-team microphone rapport. There was much to discuss, and I was in a setting in which I felt I could talk with kindred spirits, perhaps for hours! It was great to meet and chat with several audience members, and to sell a few copies of my second book.

Fellow author Steven Manders and I talked about today's book market. Dave McCallum and I might just have established a connection with Joe Quattrocchi about produce shipments by rail! A better link to my website would have helped, but via three emails, Mark Logan now has my blog address.

Before long, the evening wrapped up with the presentation to me on behalf of the Society by Duncan of a generous Novel Idea bookstore gift card and a treasured memento Martello-tower pin that I will use judiciously and treasure, respectively. 

When available, I'll provide links to Peter's write-up for the Society's Limelight newsletter and the Youtube Zoom video.....

Here's the March 20 presentation video.

My thanks to Duncan, Peter and Paul and all KHS members for recognizing the role railways have played in Kingston's history, and for inviting me to share my small part in fostering and maintaining interest in that connection. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Eric: I really enjoyed your presentation as I think everyone did. You deliver the downtown history content at a fair pace for a new student such as I. As I mentioned at the meeting any modern reference points on the pictures are so helpful. Perhaps a laser pointer to indicate some of the picture items that you speak on would help us neophytes as well. You're a treasure of knowledge on Kingston's history and I'm sure glad you do what you do so it's not lost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Keith I appreciate your enthusiasm. I really wish there were more benchmarks to show Now versus Then. As you mentioned, it's difficult to correlate. If I thought I was coordinated enough to use a laser pointer, I would have. I might have ended up pointing with the microphone and pointing the laser pointer at my face!

    Thanks for your comment, and by all means stay tuned,
    Eric

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear from you. Got a comment about the Hanley Spur? Please sign your first name so I can respond better.