Wednesday 28 February 2024

CN Property Plan of Hanley Spur

It took me awhile, but I finally got around to getting these CN property plan images from March, 1945 printed. Book customer Jeffrey Smith kindly emailed me pdf images of the CN property plan back in December, 2022. They marinated in my email inbox, perhaps getting better with age, until I finally hustled them over to Staples on a USB a couple of weeks ago, then expectantly picking them up today!  Look what we hath wrought:
How the images looked in the pdf viewer (above) - awesome! I had a tough time picturing just how big they were. I knew they were detailed and sizeable. When I rolled in to Staples an the copy centre clerk told me they would print out 120 inches in length, quick math told me that's 10 feet long! And that's printing them at the maximum paper width of 36 inches! We compromised at 5 feet long on 18-inch paper. There are three images, but I found one of them to be largely superfluous, so here are the two largest printed images on my family-room floor, with a one-foot ruler in the image, and my two feet edited out:

Close-ups. Telegraph lines, streets, railway (single, not double) lines, some buildings, and lots are shown:
"Ground zero" Cataraqui and Rideau Streets (above) and a little farther along Rideau, North Street:

CP's station across from City Hall (above) and CLC (below):
Under the River Street bridge:

Some floor-level iPhone images follow. Tete du Port (above), Montreal Street subway (below):

CN's Outer Station (above), CP's bridge over CN near Division Street (below):

Frontenac Floor & Wall Tile and Monarch Battery across the tracks from the Outer Station (above), Davis Tannery (below):
Now in the layout room: 

2 comments:

  1. wow those plans/diagrams of Hanley spur are amazingly detailed.
    I wonder if such a thing exists for WESCO spur (mi69-ish) and the Domtar&C.I.L. trackage in their heyday?
    (i just kinda stumbled here from an unrelated Trackside Treasure post...
    Hi!)
    Cheers from Halifax

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're always welcome here at the Stumble Inn aka Hanley Spur, Ian! Thanks for your comment. I have no reason to believe such plans wouldn't exist for the Wesco and nearby trackage you ask about. The best part about this plan is that I had no idea such things were out there! And I'm indebted to Jeffrey for his generous sharing of the plan with me!

    Eric

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear from you. Got a comment about the Hanley Spur? Please sign your first name so I can respond better.