Saturday 3 December 2022

Modelling K-D Manufacturing

Located at 670 Montreal Street, K-D was a local manufacturer of picture frames, as well as mirrors, mouldings, and pictures sold nationwide. Its sprawling site is still a brownfield, but sited in the corner of my Hanley Spur layout, it's a signature structure, albeit not rail-served. I picked up the main structure 'on spec' at the Associated Railroaders of Kingston Rail Fair in November. It was not real fair, because I didn't have my reading glasses and grabbed it, believing the price was $5. Bargain! Paying in better lighting, I realized the sticker said $15! Oh well, still a bargain and I didn't have to build it. Whoever did has done a nice job! It was the Walthers Henry Road's First Factory:
A view of the Montreal Street-facing K-D office, showing its unique hand-painted lettering, the smaller lines of which I can't make out from this photo found online:

At first I thought of hand-lettering the front of the building, and I might still. But for now, Google helped me find "Manufacturing Co. Limited" images, to which I added K-D and smaller line below:
With the sign printed, I didn't add much to the main structure, but I wanted to extend the building and decrease its size leading into the corner, to add perspective. The wall of a station kit from the parts drawer would do:
I glued on the painted addition, preparing to add an arched Quonset roof:
Then it was time to give the whole structure a black hobby-paint wash:
Finished with signage and roof vents, pending final scenicking:
The prototype right up to Montreal Street. Interspersed with residences, surrounded by trees and the whole sprawling operation.
A city directory 1937 cover ad:
Sold in local stores, I found a K-D frame in the layout room! The operation later moved to the U.S.!

1 comment:

I'm happy to hear from you. Got a comment about the Hanley Spur? Please sign your first name so I can respond better.