Monday 21 February 2022

Billboards are Signs of the Times

Looking back on some past posts on billboards for my Hanley Spur layout, I've definitely increased the quantity, and I think quality and certainly local content. The top photo shows the whole collection. Some are freelanced, some are more generic, even from American prototypes snipped from magazines or online photos (like Burger King!). They also represent a variety of eras from 1940's to 1990's. Like signature buildings, rolling stock and vehicles, billboards and signage not only give the layout a sense of place, but also a sense of time.

Since I have two billboards on the layout, some designs fit the small one better, some fit the large one. I've labelled the photo to reflect this - small on the left, large on the right. In the centre there is a reverse view of one, showing how each printed image is tape-rollered onto a piece of acetate, with adhesive magnetic strips. Also, I write 'small' or 'large' on the reverse and store them separately. Less time sorting, more time displaying! I've found that the magnets allow me to keep changing the billboards regularly. My short attention span just does not allow me to keep one permanently displayed when I keep finding and creating more!

Recently, I've been gleaning intensely local images from the Whig, matchbooks and online photos. Today, I printed some that are boringly black & white onto coloured cardstock, labelled at centre. These should brighten up the billboards, potentially catching the eye of passing HO-scale motorists, visitors and train crews!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm happy to hear from you. Got a comment about the Hanley Spur? Please sign your first name so I can respond better.