Tuesday 14 December 2021

Serendipitous Skeleton Press

 

The connections made through my research/blog/layout/books on Kingston's waterfront just keep on coming. YGKNews and Kingstonist have kindly come calling, and today it was The Skeleton Press. I'd seen their newsy, free local publication, and frankly was unaware it was in print, too. Not distributed in my part of town, but I enjoy reading it online. Issue Eight is out now, and I'll be proud to be in Issue Nine.
The Skeleton Press grew out of the Skeleton Park Arts Festival. I had the opportunity to meet Lawrence Scanlan, a well-known local writer and editor. I've read his byline before, as far back as his eight-year tenure at the Whig. Though I don't hear from the Whig, I am happy to hear from local, grassroots and increasingly online media presence truly interested in profiling local people. Lawrence suggested meeting at the Juniper Cafe - a location I'd often walked by during my last few years at work, but never sampled. The coffee was good, the baked good selection interesting and the view, unparallelled. A constant stream of tomorrow's young minds stopped in while Lawrence and I chatted lakeside.
I did my best to explain what the heck I'm doing on the Hanley Spur. Since I'm one of the few people in town doing what I do, I just do it and don't really ever think about it. Until today! Lawrence's questions were perceptive and I trust my answers were...helpful.
Adirondack chairs, paper and pen, hot coffee (and my former place of employment in the distance, and in the past) and conversation? Priceless!
Ellerbeck Street parking - free and proximal. A North Roast Coffee hybrid vehicle stopped by to do a curbside dropoff. But first, coffee! The city of watchtowers:
Thanks to Lawrence, Vince and Laura, and The Skeleton Press. I can't wait to see the results in print and in pixels!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm happy to hear from you. Got a comment about the Hanley Spur? Please sign your first name so I can respond better.