Thursday 9 July 2020

Anglin Coal Truck and CD&D Hull Projects

A trip to Dollarama yesterday had me looking for some modelling ideas. I've been looking for some coal trucks for my Anglin/Sowards coal dealership. This Hot Wheels 'Mooneyes' VW Beetle pickup caught my eye. It wasn't until I got it out of the box
I don't want you to think I'm cheap. Because I am. I just don't want you to think I am. But why pay more? First steps were removing the motorboat superstructure screws to release the hull, to which I added lots of styrene sprues and other under-construction might-have-beens. I'm no marine architect, as you can see. The Hot Wheels got a little less 'hot' with some primer, as well!

Two views of the finished product. A couple of Canadian Dredge & Dock workers are puzzling over my propulsion system. Hull number chalked on the bow:
Becoming a coal truck, the first thing was to apply correct Anglin colours. Red can and yellow box. But what about that under-part? I couldn't decide, so one side got black paint, the other red! I dug some less 'hot' wheels out of my Vehicle Wheels box. Much more truck-like!
Here's the passenger side with lettering made in Microsoft Word. Until I get a sophisticated printer or decals, these will do for now.
Driver side:
Box filled with coal. The rest of the coal fleet is at right - these are weathered Life-Like trucks.
And the boat is now in the dry-dock at CD&D!
Stern view!


2 comments:

  1. I like the way you turned crappy toys into something interesting.
    Nicely worked.
    You are clearly a member in good standing of the Frugal Man Club.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Robert. I like a challenge.

    While no-one likes spending money better than I like spending money (!) and I would love to order a bunch of expensive rolling stock and details, I see absolutely no challenge in that.

    I've heard it compared to a stamp collector rather than a stamp accumulator. Sure, with a big budget I can add the Penny Black to my collection, or I can happily sift through less expensive material for a fraction of the price and enjoy the process.

    And it's the process that is the challenge here, as you've noted!

    Eric

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear from you. Got a comment about the Hanley Spur? Please sign your first name so I can respond better.