Wednesday 15 January 2020

Modelling a Gravel Pit or Brownfield

Sometimes we over-reach in our modelling. We do big bridges, vast vistas, giant structures and huge freight yards. But there are simple scenes, quiet corners and other layout spaces where the exception proves the rule - where a little scene makes the big scenes. Such was my thinking when facing this 'dead space' between the CN (foreground) and CP (coal dock). It's well known that Kingston's waterfront was dotted with contaminated industrial operations, now called brownfields! 

My first inclination was to use some leftover limestone-rock cut-paper to represent a gravel pit. Or perhaps a failed or delayed construction site. Or a 'Clean Fill Wanted' site that I don't see much anymore. The space was flat, so I had to build it up vertically to provide the rock face that had been excavated. I sliced a block of modelling clay latitudinally, tacking the rounded rock face onto the opposite side. Leftover modelling clay was used to form 'dumptruck loads' (top photo) then added the paper to the rock face and actual limestone around it:
I also added some 'Super Trees' and low foliage. Another before-and-after set from the opposite side, now with CP in foreground and in background:
The scenicked rock face, dump truck loads and stuck-in pieces of limestone into the modelling clay. It's easier to stick things into than plywood, that's for sure!
I've been working on the railroad. And so is this guy - toiling in the brownfield from layout-level!

2 comments:

  1. Nicely done rock face. I hadn't thought of using modelling clay despite the name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Eric. I'm trying to find new uses for this stuff, bought at the dollar store. I already used it to form a tugboat hull. I'm topographically-challenged, not wanting to build huge scenery, and this allows me to add some small variations in the plywood (!) surface and is easily reversible.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear from you. Got a comment about the Hanley Spur? Please sign your first name so I can respond better.