Monday 15 July 2019

Good Leather, Well-Tanned

This was an expression I heard my father-in-law use. Today I found myself at the Queen's University Archives, looking through only one of tens of boxes from the A. Davis and Son  Archives. 

The listing for this box caught my eye because it contained a CN Siding Agreement. And then some. CN and CP siding agreements, then CP siding discontinuance when the business was being sold. And plans. And correspondence. And legal agreements with both railways.

The Davis Archives contain a wealth of documents, including hand-written notes by its owner and his family, especially interesting when dealing with the sale and transfer of the business.

I would think that this level of detail in archival material is hard to find, but a Kingston business is small enough in scope to allow it to be preserved. But someone had to be interested in preserving it to save it from a simple filing cabinet. In a family cottage. Here's more on how it happened.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, the Davis Tannery site has created a lasting legacy for environmental impacts on the Cataraqui River. As a brownfield site, this legacy has been part of any future uses of the site in question.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm happy to hear from you. Got a comment about the Hanley Spur? Please sign your first name so I can respond better.